I wanted to think of something fun for the kids to do one day and thought a “Dinosaur Day” was in order.
We planned to make some DIY Dinosaur Fossils and watch Ice Age.
We didn’t get to the movie, but we did have some fossil fun!
We also made some ice fossils. The kids thought this was BEYOND fun! I got the idea from HERE.
We had everything on hand, so it was a free and very fun project.
– toy dinosaurs
– food coloring (optional)
1. Fill your tupperware with water half way and add your dinosaurs. Mine floated, but don’t worry about that just yet.
2. Add food coloring.
3. Freeze in the freezer.
4. Take out your tupperware once it is completely froze. I did mine over night.
5. Now add more water to the top so dinosaurs are completely covered.
6. Take out your ice block. I ran my tupperware under hot water for a few seconds to help loosen it up.
7. This is the fun part… crack your ice open. We did this by dropping it on the cement. It was super fun!! LOL!
8. We broke away the rest with a small hammer. We got the rest of the ice off by putting it under hot water.
The kids thought this was the coolest activity because they felt like they were really “digging” out the dinosaurs and un-freezing them. I felt a little Encino Man-ish myself, if I’m going to be honest, but it was FUN!!
We made Play dough fossils…
– Play dough
1. Lay out play dough and squish dinosaur on top!! Let dry.
The kids LOVED it and think they’re real!
SO fun, right?!
I’m thinking Dino Day will be a Summer Tradition in the Merkley home. 🙂
For more great summer activities be sure to check these out:
Printable Treasure Map Kids Activities
For all Crafts & Tutorials go HERE.
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Periscope.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
I love what you did with these dinosaurs! I’d love for you to link up your fossil projects on my new Tuesday Link Party: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/05/document.html
– Sarah @naptimedelights.com
How AWESOME are the dinosaur ice fossils?! I love them….I’m currently aching that my little, dinosaur loving boy, is now a little man and teenager and doesn’t go for dinosaurs any more! *sobs*
Reminds me of the go-bots my son had 30 yrs. ago. I would definitely consider getting one for my grandson. Right now T-Rex is his favorite; probably because of Dinosaur Train. So T-Res it would be.
Uber cute! I was completely tempted to go into my sleeping son’s room to find his little dinosaurs to do this tonight. BUT since he’s already been up 4 times since bedtime, I think I’ll wait until the morning. Really fun idea. Thanks!